Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: AGT being referred to as "Just Like You dolls"

  1. #1
    Inactive Member kitti515's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My reaction to the "Just Like You" thing was very similar to yours when I first saw the phrase. However, I think their intention is for girls to be able to relate to the dolls because they are of the same era, not necessarily because of their physical features. I'm betting they're picturing girls looking at the catalogue, seeing the doll in the tennis uniform, and squealing "Mommy, she plays tennis just like me!" The idea is that the doll can more easily share a girl's modern interests and fashions than a doll whose collection is based on 200 years ago.

    I still like AGT better (and I hate that the Historicals are called "character dolls"), but I don't think they're trying to be as superficially limiting as it first seems.

    - Becca

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Molly-Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    471
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My daughter and I actually read this a few days ago in the AGPLA press release on the AG site. The AGTs were referred to as "Just Like You" dolls. I did start a post about it, but it seemed most people thought it was just a passing reference. I don't and I agree with you, I don't like it at all. My daughter doesn't either and she's not an adult collector, she's only 10 - right in AGT's target market.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Perhaps if your daughter (and maybe some of her friends) were to email AG about the AGT versus Just Like You terminology, they would be more likely to listen, since they seem to be taking the "target age" market more seriously than they do adult collectors.

    Just because we have more buying power, why should they listen to us? [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Smile

    I mentioned this before, but I just don't think it's a big deal. First of all, frankly, they ARE "just like you". It's an accurate description. Secondly, does it change the product at ALL?? Nope. Heck, maybe this means new boxes, I'll be up for that, I'm sick of the blue dots (granted I miss the white boxes with the bands, I feel old when I see the blue ones). Really, I don't think it matters. It's not nearly as problematic as the fact that I want new dresses for everyone [img]wink.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From a marketing standpoint, it's not a very good move. They company could inadvertently discourage girls from buying more than one doll. After all, if the doll isn't "just like them" then what would be the point in buying it? A better move would be to use it as a tag line: American Girl Today ... Just Like You.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree it would be much better as a tagline.

    None of the dolls are "just like me", because hair is the most distinguishing feature, none of them are even close to being "just like me"

    The AGT I bought when I was younger doesn't even have the same hair color as me. I didn't see the point in trying to make her look like me when the hair texture would be so different. They still don't offer anything even close.

    I am glad to see some "no bangs" dolls offered. When they first came out weren't there only 1 or 2 dolls without bangs? The curly hair dolls (both the short curly and long curly) are also making me smile- I hope they expand that to different skin tones and face molds.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't like that they make it seem like AGTs have to look exactly like you. [img]eek.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member amandajg's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2004
    Posts
    407
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know if this is new/old/already been discussed, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

    I just got a mass/advertising email from AG (they've been sending out a lot lately) advertising the new holiday outfits for AGT and BB. they then had a list of links you could follow to look at the outfits online, and here's what the links were:

    Chocolate Cherry Set Outfits for
    Bitty Baby | Little girls
    Just Like You dolls | Older girls

    "Just Like You dolls?" Huh? Of course, they still call them AGT's on the site, but I'm wondering if they're going to slowly change them into JLY. Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of this since I think AGT is more appropriate. Why do girls have to pick out a doll just like them? most probably do, but there must be many girls (not to mention collectors like us) who like picking out the dolls that they like regardless of whether they resemble them. From a marketing viewpoint, I don't know why AG would do this because it seems like it would discourage girls from buying an AGT that didn't look like them... which could mean fewer AGTs sold... etc.

    There's my nitpicking on a tiny little detail for the night. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is a foolish claim for AG to make . My guess is that someone in the adverising department remembered the MY Twinn ads from the past. These ads sought to portray AGs as inferior to MY Twinn. The "Just Like Me" ad could hurt the credibility of AG because MY Twinn has a larger combination of hair colors, eye colors and hair styles .
    MY Twinn however does not have books, historical consultants and characters that inspire girls.
    AS far as I am concerned that is what matters.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't recall those my twinn ads, what did they say?

    I actually figured PC sold my name and thats how we got the my twinn catalog when I was younger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •